Connecticut Sentence Modification Attorneys

Sentence modifications are one of the few tools available to defendants to change their sentence after they have already been convicted. Hiring the right team to guide you through the process and advocate for a sentence modification can be the difference between continuing to wait for your sentence to end as is or potentially securing an early release.


Punishments in criminal cases typically serve a few different purposes, including deterrence from future criminal conduct, enhancing public safety, and importantly, rehabilitation. While incarcerated, defendants are provided with various opportunities to engage in programming and classes directed at reducing the likelihood that they will offend again in the future once released. In fact, once incarcerated, the Department of Corrections tailors “Offender Accountability Plans” or OAPs to defendants for that exact reason.

Recently, Connecticut opened the door much wider than it previously had been for defendants to seek reductions in their sentences through formal court hearings, called sentence modifications.

Yet, the process is easier said than done. The sentence modification attorneys at Black’s Law Group understand the stakes of these applications and how to present the most compelling case to trial courts to modify your sentence. Below, you will find some frequently asked questions and information on the process for seeking a Sentence Modification in Connecticut.

Who is involved in sentence modifications?

Trial courts throughout Connecticut, where a defendant was originally sentenced, control sentence modification hearings. These hearings involved prosecutors, defense attorneys, defendants, and often, victims of crimes. Both sides present their case to a judge, who then decides (1) whether a sentence modification is appropriate and (2) what type of modification is appropriate.

Am I eligible for a sentence modification?

Sentence modification eligibility depends on whether a defendant went to trial or accepted a plea deal. If a defendant accepted a plea deal, their eligibility for a hearing further depends on the terms of their plea.

If you went to trial or have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment via a plea deal of less than seven years, you can apply for a sentence modification. However, if you have been sentenced via a plea deal resulting in seven years or more, the State’s Attorney’s Office has the ability to exercise a veto power over your ability to receive a hearing after applying for a sentence modification.

What does the sentence modification process look like?

Applying for a sentence modification takes time. You will need to file formal application documents with the court, provide notice of your application to the Office of Victim Services, prepare for the hearing, and then argue for a reduction in a formal hearing. The timeline depends on each courthouse and most importantly, whether your case requires persuading the State to not exercise their veto power.

What happens if the court denies my application?

Getting it right the first time is critical because if a court denies your application, you are not eligible to reapply for another five years. This is where hiring a practiced criminal defense attorney becomes critical. For lots of defendants, they only get one bite at the apple given their sentence. An experienced sentence modification attorney will understand how to present the most compelling case on your behalf by working to acquire necessary documentation and determine possible character witnesses to advocate on your behalf.

Hire a Connecticut Sentence Modification Attorney Today

Whether you or a loved one are seeking a sentence modification, hiring an experienced attorney to guide you through the process could be the difference between an early release or continuing to serve your sentence. Even after a conviction, you want a team that knows that the facts of any case, are not always black and white. Call the team at Black’s Law Group today for your free Connecticut sentence modification consultation.

Contact the Firm

Fill out the form below for a free case evaluation.

Main Form